Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Jam or Jelly


At long last we have homemade jelly in the house. I know this would not seem like a big deal to most people, but we use a lot of jelly. I let my kids be independent and make their own sandwiches when they need or want a snack so we use this stuff up pretty fast. And the added benefits, of knowing where your jelly came from and what is put into it, far out weight the purchasing of store bought jelly. Plus the cost savings is amazing.


Plus the kids this time around got to have tons of fun, helping Grandma Nana make the jelly. She does freezer jelly so there is no cooking involved except for sterilizing the jars. Pretty cool stuff right. Since the last time some how to jelly they kids helped to make made it's way to another state. So we are not giving up our jelly at all.


Now I just need to find a place to put the jelly in my freezer. That is always the challenge. Ben has been asking for a freezer to put in the garage for years and I keep telling him, where are we going to put it? We have no room in our garage. But hopefully that will change soon, or at least a little. Some of our stuff will get shifted around, it will be great.


Either way, the kids had a blast helping Nana and I think that Nana really enjoyed her time with them as well. Better yet I did not have to do a thing except buy the supplies. I'm pretty sure we will need more jelly by April but hey at least the kids have the experience and can help me make some when we run out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too cool! This is the stuff of great memories with Grandma Nana. Save some for us!

Love, Oma

Mr. Bojangles said...

I love to see pics of your kids, trust me, but why aren't you in any pictures?? Your adoring public wants to see your belly!!

Anjie said...

Yum! I love making Strawberry Freezer Jam and you are lucky your kids like it. Mine only like Smuckers.