We had a fun filled week with family in Virginia the first week in May. The kids had so much fun spending time with their cousins and learning about different things that I think everyone needs a vaction to recover. I know I do.
We drove out to Virginia to celebrate Ben's neice's First Communion and figured that we would just make a "vacation" out of it since the kids love to see thier cousins and they have never been to the capital before.
We did something new everyday, DC, Mt. Vernon, a colonial farm, and a baseball game to name a few. The kids did really well on the trip to and from and had so much fun. We were getting ready to leave and they ask us when can we go back. They are ready for their next fun filled week or more with cousins. I guess we'll have to see what the summer holds.
Now back to our trip. The first day we were there, we just hung out at Charity's house since her kids had a half day of school and everyone was excited to see everyone.
Then Tuesday it was off to DC to check out some museums. We did not do any monument tours since we figured the kids would not really understand what was going on. Instead we visited the Museum of Air and Space and the Natural History Museum, along with a brief walk through the Scuplture Garden. It was a fun filled day, with a lot of walking and checking out of new things. The kids all did great. We even had a chance to check out the indoor butterfly exhibit with live butterflies that the kids really enjoyed.
On Wednesday we headed out to Mt. Vernon which is about five minutes away from Charity's house. Very convient, and I think the kids enjoyed themselves. They do have a museum portion and you can walk through the house. Plus they still have animals and a somewhat working garden on the property. My highlight was that I had a chance to see a bald Eagle flying over the Potomac right behinh George Washington's house. Very Cool.
On Thursday we were off to a colonial farm, to see what life was really like back in 1771. We signed the kids up for Farm Skills where they could try their hand at what kids would actually do on a farm during the colonial times. I think they enjoyed themselves, by particpating in yard carding, yard spinning, candle making and corn pounding. Chores sure are different today than they were back then.
Friday found us on the downtown strees of Old Alexandria on a walking tour with some historic points of interest. The kids did well for the most part, Cooper was a little bored and plenty tired. We did get to see some original cobblestone streets, the tomb of the unknown soldier from the Revolionary war and Robert E Lee's boy hood home. Plus we found a great bar to eat at, named Bilbo Baggins, that was of course why I chose that location to eat at. Then after a good rest and school, we drove up to Maryland for an Oriles game at Cadem Yards. Ben really wanted to see a game there so we jetted off and had a pretty good time. The team played through the rain and we had great seats that were under cover so we were actually able to stay through most of the game. The kids all did great, Bear even feel asleep, crazy!
Saturday, was filled with soccer, first communion and the first day of travel home. What spring time saturday would not be complete without some amount of soccer. I'm sure my kids would not have known what to do with themselves if they did not do something with soccer on a Saturday in May. Then we came home for a little rest before First Communion. Gabby did great and for the most part the kids were well behaved as well. Bear feel asleep again, that I can understand, but hey I did not have to worry about him being crazy. We were able to spend a little time after frist communion with the family celebrating before we had to start on our way home.
The kids were sad to leave but I think that just means they will be even more excited to see them when we go up to Wisconsin this summer. Hopefully all will be well until then.
Thursday, May 12, 2011
Our Trip
Posted by Allison and Ben at 8:58 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





















0 comments:
Post a Comment